Places to visit in Pune - Shaniwar Wada
As per the design, Shaniwar Wada was a seven storied building in which all the floors were planned to be constructed of stones, but because of construction complications only first floor was built of stones while the rest of six floors were of bricks. After 90 years of completion, when it was attacked by British Artillery, only six floors which were made of bricks collapsed, while the base made of stone remained, which can also be seen today in Pune.
Shaniwar Wada has 5 Gates-
- Dilli Darwaza: This was a main gate, north facing towards Delhi.
- Mastani Darwaza: It is also a north facing gate, used by Bajirao-I’s wife Mastani for travelling out of palace.
- Khidki Darwaza: It was an east facing gate named after an armoured windows.
- Ganesh Darwaza: It was a south-west facing gate, named after the Ganesh rang mahal near the gate. Also used by ladies to visit Ganpati temple.
- Narayan Darwaza: It was a south facing gate, used by mistress to enter and leave the fort.
Distance from 7 Scooters Chinchwad: 15.2 KM